This year for my daughters 13th birthday she requested an ice cream cake! Since the theme for her party was Night Owl, I made an owl shaped cake!
The cake turned out great!
Check this post out for what was my inspiration!
I had so much "fun" figuring out how to mold the shape of the owl.
- I used my roasting pan. I lined it with card from cereal boxes and a ton of wax paper.
- I remembered to put a long strip of card underneath it all for easy removal from the pan.
- I then put a layer of butterscotch ice cream on the bottom. And put the whole thing in the freezer to "harden" up a little.
- Then using a piece of card wrapped in wax paper I made a wall to separate colors when I added chocolate ice cream for wings and ears, and vanilla for the rest!
- After returning to the freezer to "set" I carefully took it out of its "mold" to decorate.
Decorating was the fun part!
I used soft cookies for the eyes...but I really wanted to use dried pineapple slices! Which I couldn't find anywhere!
And the slivered almonds would of stood out more if I found some with the skins still on.
I did try to make chocolate shavings to look like feathers for the wings...but It turned out to be more of chocolate saw dust.
For the "nest" I used multigrain honey pretzel twists.
The beak turned out so cute! I wasn't sure on what I was going to use??? But I ended up using 2 pieces of a walnut! I love how it turned out!
If you want to read more about the Night Owl Party click here!