TCTA builds dams and pipelines.Traditional model of how EIA and SIA within a project. Social representation seems to fade in the implementation phase.
- Feasibility - EIA and SIA
- Construction - SHEQ management
- Operation - operation and maintenance agent
TCTA introduces social team at pre feasibility and feasibility phase; have environmental and social team leaders with environmental and social monitoring during construction; operation has just technical personnel.
Case study: Water supply for Matimba and Medupi power stations; coal mine and Lephale town.
- Acquisition of land rights
- Disruption of traversing patterns of people and game
- Nuisance factors
- Impacts on physical infrastructure (not a lot by trying to go around them)
- Economic impacts - resigning as farm workers to become temporary construction workers
- Sense of place - beautiful and quite natural environment
Acquisition of land rights
- Two independent certified land valuers
- Legal due diligence
Develop a social risk map, risky properties marked out for engineers.
Social impact management tools:
- Phasing in operational staff during EIA phase
- management of social aspects included in contract specifications and management of the contract
- Involve social specialists at pre construction geotechnical investigations
- Asset and infrastructure baseline
- Pre construction survey
- Communication register
- Integrated incident register - one only and everything tracked in that
- Ongoing relationship management - permanent social monitor on site
- Baseline photos taken that are u see later when problems emerge.
- There is social incident monitoring to see what new issues are emerging or which types o fincidents are increasing.
- There is also incident follow up
- Social monitor reports directly to the Chief Engineer
- Shorten response periods
- Have a real person as a first port of enquiry